30 Synonyms for “Meeting”
Humans, being social animals, have many reasons for meeting — and many words to describe doing so in various degrees of formality and format. Here are thirty ways to label a meeting, depending on the particulars.
1. Assembly: a meeting for entertainment, legislation, or worship
2. Caucus: a meeting, often in a political context, to select candidates or policy
3. Clinic: a problem-solving meeting or one at which participants acquire knowledge or skills
4. Colloquium: a meeting at which experts, usually in an academic setting, give presentations on one or more topics and engage in a question-and-answer period
5. Colloquy: a serious, important meeting (also, a synonym for conversation and dialogue)
6. Conclave: a private or secret meeting, especially that of Roman Catholic cardinals convened to select a new pope, or any gathering of an organization
7. Confab: a chat, discussion, or meeting (informal usage)
8. Conference: a meeting for discussing issues or topics of interest to all participants, usually including keynote speeches and a wide variety of sessions on specific subjects
9. Congress: a meeting or session, especially of delegates to discuss and act on an issue or topic
10. Convention: a meeting to bring together representatives of a trade, profession, or interest group, or to assemble representatives of a political party to select candidates and policy
11. Convocation: a meeting of attendees called together, of a college or university’s members, or of clergy (and perhaps laypeople)
12. Council: a meeting to discuss or advise on one or more issues
13. Demonstration: an informal mass meeting, usually held outdoors on public property, to protest about or bring attention to a topic or issue
14. Forum: a meeting that involves a discussion among experts or between them and audience members
15. Gathering: a meeting (informal usage)
16. Get-together: an informal meeting
17. Huddle: a meeting (informal usage)
18. Panel: a meeting at which participants discuss a topic or issue in front of an audience
19. Palaver: a meeting, especially one between disparate parties
20. Parley: a meeting to resolve conflict or negotiate with an enemy
21. Powwow: a meeting or a social event, or a meeting to celebrate Native American culture
22. Rally: a mass meeting to inspire enthusiasm and/or action
23. Round-robin: a small meeting to discuss or decide on a topic or issue
24. Roundtable: see round-robin
25. Seminar: a meeting for disseminating and discussing information
26. Session: a meeting or series of meetings, or a portion of an extended meeting or one of various simultaneous meetings as part of a larger event
27. Summit: a meeting of high-level leaders
28. Symposium: a formal meeting at which several specialists deliver short addresses on a topic or on related topics
29. Synod: a meeting of clergy
30. Workshop: an educational meeting or program
Want to improve your English in 5 minutes a day? Click here to subscribe and start receiving our writing tips and exercises via email every day.
Recommended Articles for You
Subscribe to Receive our Articles and Exercises via Email
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!